"Alzheimer's"




(A Doctor Converses With A Patient)

It’s like erasing a picture of fruit on a table -
then trying to recreate it and being unable.
Little by little, like some hungry thing
it eats the stories you read or songs that you sing.

People visit that will seem to know you well
but who they might be, you’ll be helpless to tell.
You’ll look at what should be a familiar face-
understand it is one you’ll never place.

Today one may be a chef or a scholar.
Tomorrow one can’t tell a dime from a dollar.
You might stand on the porch completely nude
Unaware that you’ve become totally unscrewed.

Your family, despite promises made,
must put you away, your request disobeyed.
They feel guilty, they feel relieved.
it’s as if they are already bereaved.

That’s what I can tell you, it’s the truth unmasked
I hope it has answered the questions you’ve asked.
So go out and live life and do what you want.
Have a cigarette or take that long thought of jaunt.

I guess what it is I’m trying to say:
Do the things you want while you still have today.
And NO I don’t think your time has been wasted-
There’s nothing wrong with the life you have tasted

Mrs. Jones, I am sorry the news isn’t bright
But at least you have a kind of foresight.
What do I think you should do?
Whatever is important and has meaning for you.

There is one question you have not posed
So let me answer it before our session is closed:
Yes I will be here, right to the end.
Not just as your doctor but also your friend…


###
Poem by Pamela Tyree Griffin